Friday, September 09, 2005

Stoned Out of My Mind

It is extremely troubling when two things that taste great separately do NOT taste great together. Such was the case with last night's NFL Kickoff on ABC. As I settled into my favorite leather armchair and fired up the HDTV, libations at the ready, I was distressed (and grossed out) by a hi-def close up of Ron Wood and Keith Richards in all their pockmarked, washed-out, sallow-faced stupor. I was expecting Nicollette Sheridan/TO Chapter 2, you can imagine my disappointment.

Don't get me wrong, the Stones still occupy a place of honor in the pantheon of popular music. And, surprisingly, they still rock. AND, I recognize that Mick Jagger has always been a very savvy promoter and marketer of the Stones and their image. AND I know that Paul McCartney played the Super Bowl last year, so there is a precendent for geriatric rock star tie-ins with Pro Football. AND I am sure the ratings for this program were helped by a glimpse of Mick and the boys shaking their skinny (extremely skinny) butts all over the TV screen. But, it just didn't seem right.

As I found my feet unconsciously tapping to the music, I think I figured out why I was upset. I am getting old. I responded to a calculated celebrity endorsement of my favorite sport, targeted to the 35 and over demographic. Guys like me, sitting alone in their basements watching a TV screen so large it can only fit in one place in the room. Drinking a good glass of syrah and eating cave aged gruyere instead of a cheap canned beer and pretzels.

I disgust me.

I am a shameful disgrace to my generation. I, who would most likely have changed the channel had Green Day or Maroon 5 been the featured band, instead I found myself glued to the screen, being nostalgic for my college days 20 years ago, when the Stones were already past their prime.

Shame on you ABC for forcing me to watch this crap. And shame on me for loving every minute of it. Don't get me started with the Loverboy post.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home