Tuesday, September 13, 2005

The Literal Meaning

I never got around to flying a kite when I was a kid. I tried once when I was eight, but was unsuccessful, so I gave up in frustration and never tried again.

Fast-forward thirty years and a kite already in the air is handed over to me by my father-in-law. I'm captivated instantly by the serenity of it, wondering why I allowed it to pass me by. The bright Carolina blue sky and the waves crashing onto the beach I'm standing on complete the portrait.

I'm suddenly eight again. This time the kite is in the air as the sun splashes my face.

The day could have lasted forever.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure you looked adorable in your short pants overalls and your little lace up white shoe booties, your cowlick held down with saliva applied by the palm of your hand struggling to stay in place in the face of the bracing wind.

11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home