Tuesday, January 31, 2006

The Slow and The Slightly Annoyed

DC-Giant v2.0 spit up milk and Cheerios in the car recently and the scent had permeated the car. We tried lots of things to try to get rid of the smell, but nothing worked. Well, we found a way or, should I say, a way was found for us.

I was driving out of a Metro parking lot last weekend with v2.0 in the back when another car broad-sided us. I had the right-of-way because I was on the main road that leads in and out of the parking lot. The woman driving the other car was coming out of one of the aisles, wasn't paying attention and crashed into us. The force of the collision tipped our car onto the side.

Mrs. Giant, who was in another car, heard the impact and looked up just in time to see the car tip over. She ran over to the car screaming, sure that she lost us both. Through the miracle of seat-belt use, a child car seat, the side-impact rating of our car, and the actions of a bystander and Montgomery County first responders, we were able to walk away from the accident with just a couple scratches.

As the car was tipping over, all I could think about was my boy in the back. He understandably started to cry. I was fine, so I made reassuring comments to him to help calm him down. Mrs. Giant was screaming outside, so I kept shouting "We're okay, we're okay!" An African-American boy aged 12-14 ran over when he heard the screams. He climbed into the car, unstrapped my boy and handed him over to Mrs. Giant. Seeing my boy in his mother's arms did more for my well-being than anything else.

Once it was determined that there were no leaks, I wanted to climb out, but was urged strongly not to do it. The firefighters on the scene asserted that they were required not to allow it. One firefighter climbed into the car to feel me up to check for broken bones. Too bad I'm not gay, otherwise I would've have gotten at least something out of the ordeal. He then threw some tarp over me, so no debris would hit me while they sawed off the roof of my car.

While a bit unnerving, I was calm throughout the sawing process because I knew my son was fine, and I was not hurt at all, save for some cuts on my hand. Finally, the roof came off, they unhooked my seat belt, I crawled out, and walked away. I initially declined medical treatment until I saw the look on Mrs. Giant's face when she heard me say that.

I'm sure you can guess the moral of the story, given that we were able to walk away from such an accident. It's been stated millions of times. The moral is don't fill up your car with gas, and renew its registration right before you get into an accident that totals the car. You're just wasting your money.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home