Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Take That to the Ernie Banks

I had the pleasure of playing a double-header this weekend. The team had a lot of rainouts this spring season, so the league scheduled a DH to make up some games. We split the games, taking the first and losing the second. Everyone was exhausted during the second game, but it’s the kind of exhaustion that’s accompanied by the exhilaration of playing baseball.

I had a great day at the plate, going 3-for-4 in the first game, and 4-for-5 in the second game. I’m finally feeling comfortable at the plate and, of course, the last game of the season is next week.

My exhausted teammates were not able to provide much run support or defense when I pitched the second game, and I didn’t help matters by not locating my pitches very well. Still, I only gave up three earned runs in five innings, which ain’t too shabby for this rec league.

Bless my wife for not protesting the DH as it meant she was in charge of our 15-month old for six plus hours. One of the many reasons why she is the best is that she fully supports by baseball habit because, according to her, I glow with happiness after I’ve played a game.

As the great philosopher Annie Savoy from ‘Bull Durham’ said:

“I believe in the church of baseball. I've tried all the major religions and most of the minor ones … And, the only church that feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the church of baseball.”

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Desolate loving in your eyes
You used an’ made my life so sweet
Step out like a God found child
I saw your eyes across the street

Who would be the fool to take you
Be more than just kind
Step into a life of maybe
Love is hard to find

Chorus:
In the church of the poison mind (x4)

Watch me clingling to the beat
I had to fight to make it mine
That religion you could sink in neat
Just move your feet an’ you’ll feel fine

Who would be the fool to maybe
Trick a kiss in time
Who am I to say that’s crazy
Love will make you blind

In the church of the poison mind (x3)

Desolate loving in your eyes
You used an’ made my life so sweet
Step out like a God found child
I saw your eyes across the street

Who would be the fool to take you
Be more than just kind
Step into a life of maybe
Love is hard to find

4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home