Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Big Slick

Ever since my poker game went to a Texas Hold ‘Em tournament style, I have finished in the money in every tournament except for two.

The first time it happened I called an all-in bet with Big Slick (Ace-King) and the other person had King-Jack. That person caught a Jack on the river and I got screwed. Still, with Big Slick, it was the correct play, so I can’t complain too much. As is often said at the table – that’s poker.

The second time occurred this past weekend in a pre-Super Bowl game when I finished fourth in the first tournament. I recovered and won the second tournament, so ended up ahead for the day.

I watch way too much poker on TV, but I think it has had the benefit of making me a better player. Obviously, luck plays a key role as well. There have been plenty of times when I have gone all-in with a weak hand only to get a fluke, lucky card on the river. Respect that luck, stay humble, and play on.

I have been urged to play in a higher-stakes game ($200-$500 buy-ins), but have refrained. An addictive gene runs in my family, so I have a healthy respect for anything that might activate that gene.

Poker ended around kick-off, which is too bad. I would have preferred to play more poker than watch the Super Bowl, and that was confirmed after the game. It seems everything about the Super Bowl this year was blah – the location (Jacksonville), the commercials, and the game itself.

Despite the close score, there was very little sense of excitement.

I guess I was supposed to be moved about the commercial with people in the airport applauding troops walking through the terminal and the message ‘Thank You’ coming up on the screen. The message should have read ‘We feel bad for you’ because you are fighting in a war in which you shouldn’t be fighting and dying unnecessarily.

Gas prices have risen 7 cents in the last two weeks. Couldn't even get that part right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home