Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Is He Part of the Furniture?

It’s no secret that I traded ambition for a little financial certainty and security. I had enough of uncertainty, having concluded that it is grossly overrated. I say this because I’m coming up on the 12th anniversary at my current job and that is considered a lifetime in Washington, where jumping from job-to-job is the norm.

I sometimes get strange looks when I say that I’ve been with the same company for this long, but I have no complaints or regrets for I am treated well, have been rewarded handsomely, and enjoy working with my colleagues.

One colleague described the situation as being in ‘golden hand-cuffs’ because you become reluctant to leave the pay and benefits you currently enjoy. There definitely is some truth to it.

Through my years at my office, I’ve been able to buy a wife (I shopped around and got a great deal), a kid, and a house. Also, other job opportunities did not offer as much money, flexibility, or autonomy, which all become necessities because you want to be able to enjoy the wife, kid, and house that you worked so hard to purchase.

It’s a good thing I oppose term-limits.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Change is good -- get out.

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home