Monday, April 11, 2005

The One Constant

It was the rare occasion when the defense failed and gave up a load of unearned runs, as the Ponce de Leon baseball Team N lost its opener 14-10.

Unfortunately, I was the pitcher who gave up a lot of those unearned runs, which was a little frustrating considering that I was pitching very well and felt great.

I pitched four strong innings and located my pitches well, inducing a bunch of pop ups and weak ground balls. But, for some reason, the defense couldn’t grab anything and I ended up giving up six unearned runs. That’s the way it goes. I’m sure there will be a game when the defense will bail me out when I am pitching poorly.

Regardless of the game’s outcome, it was great to be playing baseball again because the one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers; it has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt, and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game, is a part of our past, Ray. It reminds us of all that once was good, and it could be again. Oh, people will come, Ray. People will most definitely come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home