Monday, December 06, 2004

I'm All In

I play in this regular poker game with an eclectic group of people, of which I am the village idiot. The group consists of an Ivy League economist, an Ivy League-trained lawyer who moonlights as a stand-up comedian, an accomplished artist who has had showings all over the world, and a chief-of-staff to a U.S. Senator.

Our game started years ago before poker became the cultural phenomenon that it is today, so we like to think that we were ahead of the times. Many players have come and gone, and some will be re-introduced when they return to the area, but the five of us have made up the core of the game.

My meager brain cannot match their brilliance, but I have a great time and contribute to the festivities when I can. I subscribe to the old Mark Twain adage, ‘Better to be silent and thought a fool than to open one’s mouth and remove all doubt.’ They’ve probably been around me long enough to know the truth though.

It’s funny how the game has evolved. When we first started out, it was your standard piddly little nickel-dime-quarter game with a $5 buy-in, and it was easy to get people to fold with a 50 cent raise. Now, we play Texas Hold ‘Em tournaments with a $25 buy-in and are able to play two or three tournaments each time. Instead of scurrying away from a 50 cent raise, we now don’t think twice about the possibility of losing $50 each time we play. The poker craze definitely was an influence with respect to the money issue.

One of the funniest stories to come from the poker game involved a philanthropist friend of the economist who used to be a semi-regular participant in the game. The lawyer/comedian is from the Midwest and has the stereotypical Midwest manners in that he stands up when women come into the room and makes sure he shakes hands with everyone when he arrives and inquires about everyone’s well-being. I say that as a statement of fact, and not a criticism, except that the bastard makes the rest of us look bad sometimes.

The philanthropist noted to the lawyer/comedian one night that he usually inquires about his wife and that he forgot to that night. The lawyer/comedian apologized and dutifully asked how everything was going.

"We are getting a divorce," he replied.

Dead silence, everybody was stunned.

"How long were you married?"

"Ten years," said the philanthropist.

The artist quipped, "At least you made it to double-digits."

It was funny to us and we take great delight in re-telling it whenever a new person joins the game.

2 Comments:

Blogger SuburbaMom said...

Out of all these years of playing poker that is your best story?? You guys really don't talk much during the game :]

9:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Auntie M told me about your post. Ah those were the days and I happy to hear I will be "reintroduced" (sooner than we think, perhaps?!?) Unfortunately while I have been, it seems like you all have taken a quantum leap forward in skills and it would be useless for me to get back in the game because I would lose too much money. If I could only get the world tournament of poker here ... damn. Plus I hate Texas hold 'em and all you poker snobs make fun of me.
Uncle M

11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home